This thermometer works great when connected to a March pump and used for mash recirculation.
I use this to monitor the temperature of the wort exiting my plate chiller. Temperature change is nearly instant and is easy to read. The pros and cons:
- temperature range covers all pitching temperatures for lagers or ales.
- the device tolerates boiling temps, meaning I can sanitize the entire system by recirculating boiling wort through the chiller and thermometer towards the end of the boil.
- 1/2" size matches the March pump and Shirron chiller and won't slow down wort flow
- the dial is a bit bulky, so I chose not to attach it directly to the wort out fitting of my Shirron chiller because on my system it would make it difficult to attach/detach my cooling water hose.
- no built-in mounting bracket, but it was easy to improvise one. I chose to attach it to the side of my brewstand with metal straps, which worked very well. Heavy duty thermoplastic tubing attaches it to the chiller.